Wednesday, August 29, 2007

ZAP

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! So yesterday I was driving to the Biggest Little City for a little twilight race they do. Got the "S" cruising nicely at about 80mph and I see a dark stream of clouds. "Hmm, Looks like it might be raining in Truckee" (Sp?) Then I start thinking it might be raining in Reno! Screw it I am almost there just keep going. So there I am listening to VH and I start seeing lightning. " Wow, that one looked like it hit the ground just up the road a little. Naw that can't be, it must have been over the ridge a ways." So I am just about coming up to the turn off for Northstar and ..........

I mean this thing flashes right in front of me. Never in a million years did I think I would see lightning hit the ground! Well not the ground, but it hit a tree about 30 meters up the road! When it hit it was like a giant fire ball and it shredded the tree. It was really weird though. The fire ball only lasted for a split second but the tree was seriously mangled. I really don't know why it didn't start a fire. The truck in the lane next to me slams on his breaks, for what I don't know. It didn't hit him and why would you want to be in the spot where it just struck?
So I start getting a little nervous thinking to myself what attracts lightning. Crap... turn off the radio and the cell phone. I am sure neither of them would have attracted lightning to strike me, but I wasn't taking any chances. So now I was thinking I was in the middle of an electrical storm (it wasn't raining yet) and I was sure to see more! Well I did, but none as close as the big one. It finally did start raining for about 5min. Typical wheather for that area.
Rained so hard I couldn't see 20ft in front of me.

2 comments:

Ruby Bleu said...

That sounds TOTALLY scary!! I like lightening storms...but only a a distance. A very far distance!!!

Michele & Ruby

Anonymous said...

That sounds like you need to buy lottery tickets.